I gotta be honest- I don't understand the Shamrock Shake hype.
To me they taste like a cup of frozen toothpaste, and they're not worth the guilty calories.
I'd much rather have a mint chocolate chip milkshake or well... a beer.
But I respect that everyone has their own tastes so to each their own- Do whatever makes you happy.
I love incorporating greens into my diet- it makes me feel like superwoman! Whether it be by smoothies, sautéed with some garlic, or salads- I can't get enough of the stuff. When I was pregnant I would incorporate spinach into my diet as much as I could and honestly, it saved me from having to get a blood transfusion after I delivered my daughter (I'm leaving it at that. I'm sparing you the gory details- you're welcome!). Bottom line-Yay for increasing hemoglobin levels with spinach!
With that said, I wanted to share one of my favorite protein shake recipes with y'all, and I think it'll put the Shamrock Shakes to SHAME. SHAME I say!!
Shamrock Protein Shake (serves 1)
- 1/2c simmering hot water
- 1 organic peppermint tea bag (ha I said tea-bag)
- 1c packed baby spinach
- 1/2c of Organic Unsweetened Almond Milk (I use Califia Farms)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/8c of chocolate chips
- 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder (I use Growing Naturals Yellow Pea Protein)
- 3-5 ice cubes
- Place peppermint tea bag into a mug and pour the simmering water over it. Let it steep for 3-5 minutes (the longer it steeps the stronger the mint flavor). Remove tea bag.
- Place mint tea and the remaining 6 ingredients in a blender
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!
No artificial ingredients, no food dyes, no frozen toothpaste aftertaste- Now that's a shake you can feel good about!You go Glenn Coco!